Activating Village Courts in Bangladesh Phase-II
Project Name: Activating Village Courts in Bangladesh Phase-II
Overall O objectives
To contribute to improving access to justice for disadvantaged and marginalized groups in Bangladesh.
- To make local authorities more responsive to local justice needs and offer appropriate legal services in the form of well- functioning village courts.
- To empower local people, especially women, the poor and vulnerable groups to seek remedies for injustices and to resolve their disputes at the local level in an expeditious, transparent and affordable manner.
- Component -1: Capacity of relevant stakeholders at local level improved and key skills strengthened to enable Village Courts in new target UPs to function effectively by the end of project implementation.
- Component-2 : Legal and policy framework revised to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of VCs
- Component-3 : GoB monitoring capacity for evaluating Village Courts performance is strengthened and systematized
- Component-4 : Beneficiaries in project areas understand the roles and functions of the Village Courts and are able to access their services when required
- Component-5: Evidence-base and knowledge-management on VCs increased
Area of Operation
Under cluster-A, MLAA is submitting the proposal in the following working area that is mention in ToR.Totaldivision is 2, districts is 7, Upazilla 28 and total union 235.
|Division||No of Districts & Name||No of Upazillas & Name||Number of Unions|
|Dhaka||4 Districts (Faridpur, Gazipur, Gopalganj & Madaripur)||18 Upazillas (Alfadanga, Charbadrason, Sadarpur, FaridpurSadar, Banga&Boalmari /
GazipurSadar, Kaliakoir, Kaliganj, Kapasia&Sreepur/ Gopalganj Sadar, Tungipara&Muksudpur / Kalkini, Madaripur Sadar, Shivchar&Rajoir
|Mymensingh||3 Distrcits (Jamalpur, Mymensingh &Netrokona)||10 Upazillas ( Boxiganj, Islampur, Melandha&Sarisabari / Haluaghat, Isharganj&Muktagacha/ Durgapur, Kendua&Madan)||99 Ups|
Project Budget : 238,969,424
Project Period : 33 Months ( 10 December 2016 to 09 September 2019
- Capacity of relevant stakeholders at national and local level strengthened to enable VCs in at least 235 Unions to function effectively by March 2019.
- Legal and policy framework reviewed and revised to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of VCs.
- GoB monitoring capacity for evaluating VCs performance is strengthened and systematized.
- Beneficiaries in project areas understand the roles and functions of the VCs and are able to access their services when required.
- Evidence-base and knowledge-management on VCs increased.
Under construction ……………………