Project title: Enable Access to Justice for Urban Dwellers
Main Objective: Increase access to justice of urban dwellers through activation of informal, formal and quasi judicial systems and empowerment of poor, particularly women, children and other marginalized groups.
- Ensure access to justice for Pourashava dwellers by activating Conciliation Board and Arbitration Council.
- Enhance capacity of elected representatives & civil society members of Pourashava to resolve disputes locally.
- Sensitize and motivate stakeholders to prevent and protect Violence against Women.
- Initiate advocacy to reform relevant laws and rules.
- Ensure justice for the poor through District Legal Aid Committee (DLAC).
Starting date: 01 April 2017
End date: 31 March 2019
Project Budget : 48,131,710.00
Project summary : Landless poor including the women, children and other marginalized groups are forced to take shelter in urban slums due to river erosion, flood, and drought, they are deprived of their basic rights and are frequently subject to conflict with law. The Conciliation Boards and Arbitration Council are empowered to provide legal remedies but they lack capacity to dispense justice rendering indigents vulnerable.
This project aims at effective legal aid services through i) building the capacity of the Conciliation Board and Arbitration Council to promote and protect the rights of the poor, ii) facilitating mediation and iii) raising awareness on legal rights and protections (especially for VAW). MLAA will also work with City Corporation for induction of Conciliation Board and to activate Arbitration Councils to make these two institutions viable for delivering justice services. Advocacy has to be undertaken to bring changes in laws and practices for these initiatives.
Who will benefit from this project? For whom will the project make a difference? Why were these beneficiaries chosen? If possible, give an estimate of how many beneficiaries are reached by this project.
Output-1: Enhanced capacity of duty bearers on Conciliation Board, Arbitration Council of Pourashava and ADR (Mediation).
Output-02: Increased awareness of different stakeholders.
Output-3: Initiated Advocacy and Networking to reform relevant law and rules.
Output-4: Developed Publicity Materials on Conciliation Board, Arbitration Council & Mediation to build-up awareness.
Output-5: Resolved disputes through Conciliation, Board Arbitration and Mediation and case referral to District Legal Aid Committee (DLAC).
The project will be implemented in 14 Pawrashavas and 5 wards of Khulna City Corporation. The main activities of the project are to resolve disputes through Conciliation Board, Arbitration Council, and Mediation through the MMM. In Pawrashavas there is provision of both Conciliation Board and Arbitration Council to resolve disputes but in City Corporation the mode of dispute resolution is also different.
In City Corporation:
Conciliation Board like Powrashava does not exist.
Arbitration Council service is also missing.
Access to justice and enforcement of their rights in formal courts is limited for want of resources.
List of Activity
1) Enhanced capacity of duty bearers on Conciliation Board, Arbitration Council of Pourasava and ADR(Mediation)
1.1) Training for project staffs (Basic & Refresher)
1.2) Orientation Workshop for Mayor, Councilor and Secretary of Municipality
1.3) Training for councilors of Pourasavas and members of CBOs (Community Based Organization)
1.4) Training for Councilors of City Corporation and members of CBO (Community Based Organization) in KCC area.
2) Increased awareness of different stakeholders and social mobilization
2.1) Formation of Ward Community Based Organization (CBO) at Ward Level of Pourashavas.
2.2) Formation of Central Community Based Organization (CBO) at Pourasavas and Ward level of City Corporation.
2.3) Bi-monthly CBO Meetings
2.4) Courtyard Meetings
2.5) Quarterly Meetings with Adolescents Group
2.6) Quarterly Meetings with Youth Group
2.7) Inauguration Meeting of the project at Pourasava Level
2.7) Inauguration Meeting of the project at KCC
3) Initiated Advocacy and Networking to reform relevant law and rules.
3.1) Half-yearly networking meeting with Poursava
3.2) Half-yearly networking meeting with City Corporation
3.3) Advocacy Workshop to reform “The Conciliation of disputes (Municipal area) Board Act 2004” at District Level
3.4) Advocacy Workshop to reform on Arbitration Council of Muslim Family Law Ordinance 1961 at District Level
3.5) Advocacy Workshop in KCC on enactment of Conciliation of disputes (Municipal area) Board Act 2004.
3.6) National seminar on reform Arbitration Council and Conciliation of disputes (Municipal area) Board Act 2004
4) Developed Publicity Materials on Conciliation Board, Arbitration Council & Mediation to build-up awareness
5) Resolved Disputes through Conciliation, Board Arbitration and Mediation and case referral to DLAC.
5.1) Case Disposed by Conciliation Board of Municipality
5.2) Disputes Resolve by Arbitration Council of Municipality and City Corporation
5.3) Disputes Resolution through Mediation.
5.4) Free Legal Aid Services
Outcomes and impact:
- Public institution i.e., Pourashavas and City Corporation have the capacity and accountable to deliver justice.
- Conciliation Boards and Arbitration Councils are activated and able to provide fair and effective services to the justice seekers.
- CBOs are active and people can get justice within reasonable time and cost using modified mediation method.
- Relevant stakeholders are motivated to prevent Violence against Women and offer effective protection mechanisms to victims and women vulnerable to abuse.
- Problems and limitations of applying the current laws and regulations for delivering justice in urban areas (i.e. those that govern the Conciliation Board and the Arbitration Council) are identified, and measures are taken to reform the laws as necessary.
- Legal rights of the urban poor, especially women, children, and other marginalized groups are protected through effective justice services, as a result poverty alleviation and empowerment are enhanced.